RaineDay2014

E.M. Forster

The Duality Paradigm

The Duality Paradigm (Book 1) - Lia Cooper

BLURB:

Everyone knows magic users and werewolves are intrinsically diametrically opposed...

Seattle Police Detective Ethan Ellison, born into a long line of Quebecois magicians, leads a fairly unassuming life working Theft and consulting on magical misdemeanors. He's spent eight years building a life for himself in Seattle, far from his father's shadow. He works hard, lives under the radar, and fucks whoever catches his eye.

Detective Patrick Clanahan, beta-heir to Pack McClanahan, is a tightly wired bundle of rage and guilt, still trying to come to terms with the murder of his last partner.

When a human woman is murdered in werewolf territory under suspicious circumstances, Ethan is reassigned to work the case with Clanahan in the hopes that he'll be able to balance out the wolf's rougher edges.

Too bad they mostly just rub each other the wrong way.

SUMMARY REVIEW: A quality werewolf / detective read; strong antagonistic characters, atmospheric Seattle setting - good times.

REVIEW:

Book 1 in ' Blood and Bone ' trilogy.

( Review copy in exchange for a fair review. )

The main characters are both part of the Seattle Police Dept, Ethan, a mediocre Mage refugee from an abusive powerful magic family and Pat whose happier family birthright is of werewolf aristocracy. There is an instinctive antagonism between these two groups, mage and werewolf, which works to add an edge to their interactions.

This is a well established AU Seattle, with magic being part of the status quo, albeit with resulting prejudices and power struggles. The descriptions of the settings were imaginatively detailed and I liked this careful grounding of magic within an ordinary reality,

"The Seattle South Precinct worked out of an old worn down red brick building fronted by large windows that let in too many stares during summer and too much cold air in winter."

The detecting element of the story was straight forward and perhaps a little easily solved. However the well paced journey to the solution was very enjoyable with some interesting secondary characters joining in the fun.

The slow build up of the work partnership between Ethan and Pat, was very nicely drawn. Ethan's haphazard feckless loner life is compared to Pat's situation with a close knit pack, a more traditional kind of family. These guys are very believable and appealing. I particularly liked Pat's way of dealing with the world partly through his nose. This not least because the descriptions avoid the literary werewolf obsession with overwritten olfactory imagery which can sound like the out pouring of a manic wine writer. Initially Ethan's unwashed smell is simply of spunk and sweat and still offends Pat on many levels. As the guys learn to work together and their personal relationship deepens delightfully, I did have some problems with Ethan's wilful silliness over some blatantly obvious developments. I am putting this down as a sacrifice on the alter of the necessary evils of series development.

Which brings me to this book's inconclusive ending, which I found unfortunate as it pushed Ethan's silliness into the realms of bloody minded stupidity. Nevertheless in the main I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining introduction to the series and I am looking forward to the next book.

This was a review copy given for a fair review. I would rate this as 4.25 stars.